Thursday, March 13, 2014

A So Very Grateful Birthday

It's Thursday and time for a new challenge from Create with Connie and Mary.  This week they have a fun color challenge for us.

I love these three colors together, the black makes the other two colors really pop.  I decided to use So Very Grateful, but I had no idea how I wanted the card to look.  I ended up using a previous Create with Connie and Mary sketch that I thought would work well.  Here's what I ended up doing.

I wanted the Basic Black to be the base card so the Strawberry Slush and Old Olive could really stand out.  The base is embossed with the Modern Mosaic Embossing folder.  This matched perfectly with the Quatrefancy DSP in Strawberry Slush.

The DSP has banner ends that I made with my scissors.  It is layered onto the card first then the focal point is added with dimensionals.

The focal point is several layers.  First I stamped the flowers from So Very Grateful on Whisper White with StazOn Black ink.  Then I die cut the area I wanted with the smallest Deco Label Framelit.  Once the image was colored with a blender pen and inkpads, I added the background layers.  I used two pieces of Old Olive punched with the Scallop Oval Punch.  One went on the top and one on the bottom.  Behind that is a circle of Strawbery Slush that was die cut with the Circle Framelits.  Once all the layers were together, the sentiment was next.  I stamped the birthday greeting from Express Yourself on Whisper White and die cut it with the largest banner from the Bitty Banners Framelits.  The final touches were rhinestones added to the center of the flowers and on the top of the card.


I hope this card inspired you to look at a previous card in a new way.  You can see more wonderful card ideas for this week's color challenge over at Create with Connie and Mary.  I hope you will join in and create a card of your own to link up!


Thanks for stopping by!  Happy Stamping!



Print Friendly and PDF

Follow my blog with Bloglovin


7 comments:

Lisa Martz said...

Very striking! The colors are so vivid on the black base! Very pretty!

Connie Babbert said...

Oh...had to look closely to see all the layers on the focal floral element...very beautiful! The black embossed background really makes the entire card POP! Great job with the color challenge this week!

Deb said...

Love the card base of Basic Black! So rich and bold and really makes a statement! Love it!! Love the layers for the focal point! Just beautiful!!

Add Ink and Stamp said...

Good idea to use a CCMC sketch! I agree with you about Basic Black making colors pop. I love using it as well. The mosaic background adds some lovely texture to your card.

Debbie Henderson Debbie's Designs said...

Wow, the colors really pop against the black and everything looks so nice layered over the banner!

Margaret Raburn said...

Wow, your card is just stunning! The embossed black background really accentuates the banner and flower center! Great job with these colors!

Melissa Davies said...

WOWWWEEE! This is stunningly beautiful! I love that you went bold with the challenge colors!